Monday, August 30, 2010

Celiac Disease Blows!!!

for those of you who don't know what it is,
Celiac disease is a digestive condition triggered by consumption of the protein gluten, which is found in bread, pasta, cookies, pizza crust and many other foods containing wheat, barley or rye. If you have celiac disease and eat foods containing gluten, an immune reaction occurs in your small intestine, causing damage to the surface of your small intestine and an inability to absorb certain nutrients.
Eventually, the decreased absorption of nutrients (malabsorption) that occurs with celiac disease can cause vitamin deficiencies that deprive your brain, peripheral nervous system, bones, liver and other organs of vital nourishment. This can lead to other illnesses and stunted growth in children. (mayoclinic.com)

I have this. It sucks. Last night I was so hungry that I could not cook, it would have taken way too long, and I had a screaming baby. So Jack in the Box was for dinner. I was told a few months ago that the onion rings were made with corn. I got them, then about twenty minutes later, I was almost in full blown mirgane. It turns out the rings are made with wheat! I am so depressed! I hate not being able to eat what I want. I cant wait for someone to come up with a cure! I can not tell you how much more money it is to eat "normaly." A loaf of bread is no less than $8.00. And the pieces are small, and no good cold. Forget cookies, cake, pizza or pasta! And fast food (i know its not good for anyone), forget it! Its so hard to eat out, and I always feel bad eating at other peoples houses.
We do know that it is genetic. My Grandmother has it, I have it, and so does my cousin. I can only hope and pray that my daughter does not have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment